On Saturday, February 9, at Madison Square Garden in the main event, WBO junior lightweight champion Josh Taylor will face off against Teofimo Lopez. The fight will be televised on ESPN+ and ESPN.
Taylor, who used to be a junior welterweight titleholder, will fight against Lopez, who used to be a unified lightweight champion. After relinquishing his three different belts, Taylor sought a rematch with Catterall, who he lost to in February 2022. He then targeted Lopez when that fight wasnixed.
Taylor is a natural 140-pounder who has won fights against such notables as Ivan Baranchyk, Regis Prograis, and Jose Ramirez. Lopez, on the other hand, has only been in the division for three fights. He most recently fought at 140 pounds and won via knockout against Pedro Campa in August.
During their press conference on Thursday, both fighters were separated. They have been engaging in social media activities leading up to the bout.
During the press conference, Taylor referred to Lopez as a disrespectful fighter. He vowed to avenge his words by knocking him down. Taylor also said that he was looking forward to getting in the ring and defeating his opponent.
Lopez noted that he had improved from his previous bout. He also said that he would like to become a two time lineal champion.
During the press conference, Lopez noted that Taylor should take over the division’s top fighters. He said that if he doesn’t do so, then “The Takeover” will be meaningless. He stated that Taylor is the fighter to beat to become the best.
Josh Taylor Record And Bio :
- Nationality: British
- Date of Birth: January 2, 1991
- Height: 5′ 10″
- Reach: 69
- Total Fights: 19
- Record: 19-0 (13 KOs)
Teofimo Lopez Record And Bio :
- Nationality: American
- Date of Birth: July 30, 1996
- Height: 5′ 8″
- Reach: 68.5″
- Total Fights: 18
- Record: 18-1 (13 KOs)
Josh Taylor vs. Teofimo Lopez Fight Card :
- Josh Taylor vs. Teofimo Lopez; For Taylor’s WBO super-lightweight title
- Xander Zayas vs. Ronald Cruz; Super-welterweight
- Henry Lebron vs. Carlos Ramos; Super-featherweight
- Jamaine Ortiz vs. Humberto Galindo; Lightweight
- Robson Conceiciao vs. Nicolas Polanco; Super-featherweight
- Omar Rosario vs. Jan Rivera; Super-lightweight
- Damian Knyba vs. Helaman Olguin; Heavyweight
- Bruce Carrington vs. Luis Porozo; Featherweight
Josh Taylor vs. Teofimo Lopez Fight Info :
- Date: Saturday, June 10
- Card start time: 8.00 p.m. ET / 1.00 a.m. BST
- Main event ringwalks (approx): 11 p.m. ET / 4 a.m. BST
- TV : U.S.: ESPN+ UK: Sky Sports
- Place : The fight will be staged at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York.